Noni's work colleague Andy asked me if I wanted to join him for a ride on a flight - so what's an ex-pilot have to say - No?
Of course I said yes without a second's pause. So I told my boss I was taking the day off (janji jumpa pukul 1 - I could have taken a half day off) because when I go flying, I don't like to think about work.
Anyway, the airport was about 15 minutes away from where we live. Met him at the car park, had a drink and then off to the hanger. Last time I flew a TB10 was around end 1992 early 1993. The TB10 is like the sports car of general aviation aeroplanes - with gull wing doors. A faster and sleeker version is the TB20 with retractable undercarriage.
The day was approaching hot (26 degrees) for over here, and when you're in a small plane on the ground - berpeluh.
I love flying in small planes as the view is magnificent unlike the view from small portholes of the bigger planes. Of course, the ride is felt a lot more as you're closer to the ground and there's a bit more turbulance effect as the landscape changes.
We flew from Nottingham to Humber bridge. If by car it would take us about 1 hour and 40 minutes one way at least. Flying took us about 30 minutes.
We flew over a few towns and golf courses and of course, the river and Humber bridge.
Air Traffic procedures have changed since the days I flew, but the feeling never does. It was great to be back up there. The visibility was a bit hazy but still good.
One thing about the UK, there always an airfield somewhere. I guess it was necessary that they had many during world war 2.
Pity we didn't get to see any of the old WW2 fighters / bombers flying. I guess it's a Friday and everyone's winding down for the weekend.
There were a few other aircraft flying about, and a microlight, so had to keep an eye out for them.
There was also a Goodyear blimp "hanging around" the airport. They'd just come back from Europe. With a tailwind, it could reach speeds of up to 50 knots (about 96 kph). Asked one of the ground crew if they were covering the 2020 cricket game
tonight at Trent bridge, and he said, no, they were going to chill out and wait further instruction from Goodyear. What a life.
All in - great day. Would love to do it again
No comments:
Post a Comment